Monday, June 23, 2014

My 3rd Runiversary

Last Saturday marked the third anniversary of my first run.  I drafted a post full of reflections on my running career over the past three years and scheduled it to post on my runiversary.  The would-be post was witty, full of excitement over the joys of running and gratitude for the balance running has brought to my life.  But life happened and the planned post no longer reflected the reality of my runiversary.

I logged 6 solo miles on Saturday, but instead of spending them celebrating my development as a runner, I dragged along with a heavy heart as I considered what the rest of my day would hold: playing flute for my friend's funeral, driving 5 hours to visit relatives, corralling kids who are out of their routine and comfort zone, plastering a semi-contented expression on my face when all I'd really want to do is cry.  The run itself was much like the rest of the day.  Where I expected to feel gratitude, I found exhaustion.  When I should have enjoyed the fresh morning air, I wallowed over GI discomfort.  What I planned as a blissful hour of solitude was 60 minutes of internal crabbing.

It wasn't the day I planned or expected, but I was still lucky for the opportunity to run,
to spend time with family and friends, and to live life.

I returned home feeling defeated and overwhelmed.  Remember how I was waiting for the other shoe to drop?  I think it just did.  In some ways, I'm glad I had that crappy run.  I knew it was coming, and now I can look over my shoulder, say that it happened, and move on with life.  At the end of the day, I was 6 miles stronger.  In fact, after three years of running, I am hundreds of miles stronger - both mentally and physically.  I am grateful for all my runs, the good and the bad, for they have made me into a strong, confident, and balanced mother runner.  Here's to many, many more runiversaries!