Thursday, June 21, 2012

Happy Runiversary!

One year ago today, I began my journey as a runner.  It has not always been smooth or pretty, but I am so glad that I've welcomed running into my life.  I am a more balanced person now that I have running as an outlet.  On my morning runs, I can work off pent-up frustration and stress, and that tired, slightly achy feeling in my legs post-run remind me that I took time for myself that day, which is most certainly a good thing.

An anniversary calls for a celebration, right?  And if you ask my kids, no celebration is complete without balloons.

As a wife and mother, I find it very easy to lose myself while tending to everyone else's needs.  Running has helped me find a piece of the world that is just for me.  In those early morning miles, my mind is free to think about anything I wish, as I work to build my muscles, my endurance, my strength.  The sweet smell of pre-dawn air brings a smile to my face and reminds me that life is good.