Saturday, September 6, 2014

A New Chapter

I had (have) beautiful, detailed plans for this blog. Scheduled posts. Timely subjects. Interesting perspectives. But life is preventing me from executing my plan. Kids refusing to nap. A broken washing machine. Mental exhaustion from major life changes. Mercifully, I've still had time to run, just not time to blog about running. If I have to choose just one, I choose to sweat, but I've missed blogging.

Back up a step.  Major life changes, you say? Yes, of the employment variety. Yesterday, I left a job I've held for the last 8.5 years. Though it wasn't ideal, it was a big part of my life for a long time, and the parting feels bittersweet. I've been preparing for this day for months, but I've been surprised by how mentally taxing the change has been. I'm sad to leave behind friends and work that I did well, but I'm looking forward to new challenges, new opportunities, and more time for my family. 

Deleting the work e-mail account from my phone.
A wonderfully liberating moment.

Moving onward, starting this new chapter of life, feels a little scary, like standing at the bottom of the hill with a full slate of hill repeats on deck. Looking up is overwhelming but strangely exciting. The climb(s) will be grueling but the rewards are sweet - the endorphin rush and badass feeling that only comes from conquering something truly difficult; from trying something that looks crazy to outsiders but that you know will make you stronger, faster, better. Today I stand the at bottom of this new hill, looking ahead and not knowing what awaits me at the crest. I'm excited and terrified, sad and elated, ready to start the climb and embrace the journey.