Thursday, September 25, 2014

Running haiku

Flashback to 1995 for this glimpse of high school mama kate: take a peek into my bedroom, where I am madly scribbling poems while listening to They Might be Giants (on cassette, of course).  Not a runner yet, I loved the freedom of poetry and used it as a creative outlet for teenage angst.  Nowadays, I'm more likely to work off my frustrations on a run rather than in a poetry journal, but I still enjoy creating poetry from time to time.  And I've discovered the perfect poetic form for running: haiku.

Sometimes, especially on long solo runs, I like to compose haikus on the go.  Capturing the feeling of a run in the syllabic restrictions of haiku is a fun way to pass some miles.  Or at least this nerdy runner girl finds delight in doing so :)



Some recent composed-on-the-run haikus:

burning lungs and quads
on dark, silent, moonlit streets
make me feel alive

*******

lacing up at dawn
pushing limits, growing strong
only squirrels to see

*******

How do you like to pass the miles on a long run?  Anyone else use the time to compose poetry?