Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Taking the Leap

I'm an extreme planner.  I like to think things through, analyze possible outcomes, weigh pros and cons.  Such endless considering and researching, however, can lead to a bit of indecision.  Just as I hemmed and hawed over choosing a training plan for our fall half marathon, I've been obsessing over carefully considering my options for a spring race.  Namely, I've been agonizing over the possibility of tackling 26.2 for the first time.

I've examined countless training schedules and loaded potential training plans and race dates into a Google calendar.  I've considered travel logistics and family commitments.  I've polled friends, both online and in real life.  I've read dozens of articles and blog posts trying to determine if I'm ready to make the leap.  And I've nearly driven myself insane.  But I've finally made my decision: I'm going to do it!  The GO! St. Louis marathon on April 12, 2015 will be my first 26.2 :)



Forever the cheapskate, I found an early bird discount for the race, and I pulled the trigger.  I originally hoped to run an out-of-town marathon, but the more I considered the logistics of travel, housing, kids, etc., a hometown race sounded much simpler.  There will be enough other sources of stress on race weekend; it will be nice to sleep in my own bed and eat my favorite homemade pizza the night before the race.

I think I've settled on using Hal Higdon's Novice 2 plan for this race, though I reserve the right to change my mind again (and again and again...) over the next few weeks.  Somehow the thought of training for and running a marathon is equally exhilarating and terrifying.  Looking at the long calendar of training runs seems a bit daunting, but at the same time, I'm excited to push myself to try something new and tackle a major challenge.  Assuming I go with that 18 week plan, training starts on December 8th!

Have you set any spring race goals?