Saturday, December 20, 2014

Running through the Holidays

When our social calendars fill in November and December, it seems natural that things like exercise might take a back seat.  The days become gridlocked with parties, cookie baking, Christmas card writing, and shopping.  Who has time to workout when there are so many other things on the to-do list?  Why try to fit one more thing into an already overcrowded schedule?  For me, the answer is a no-brainer: I continue to make time for my workouts to maintain my sanity and some sense of normalcy during these months that are anything but.

I'm on a training plan this holiday season, so my attention is particularly focused, but even in past, non-training plan years, I've enjoyed running during the holiday season.  Amidst the hubbub, running keeps me grounded and helps me feel balanced, something I desperately need during this season of too much sugar and too little sleep.  On my morning run, I can clear my head and return ready to tackle the wrapping, baking, and shopping.  And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that running helps me feel (less) guilty over indulging in the all-too-abundant treats hanging around my house ;)


Yoga by the Christmas tree (with one of my favorite pairs of wild socks):
a great way to find balance at this time of year.

I'm certainly not casting stones at those who choose to pause their workout plans during the holidays.  If taking a break from your fitness routine can help you return rejuvenated and refreshed in the new year, then go for it!  But for me, running and yoga are key to my holiday happiness.  I enjoy the extras and the once-a-year events, but I also crave little pieces of my humdrum normal life.  Lacing up my running shoes is that little piece of normalcy that gives me the stamina to forge through all of the extras.

Do you take a break or run through the holidays?